This Code has been prepared in conjunction with:
Division of Local Government, Department of Premier and Cabinet Model Code of Conduct;
Division of Local Government, Department of Premier and Cabinet Procedures for the Administration of the Model Code of Conduct;
Division of Local Government, Department of Premier and Cabinet Circular 12/45; and,
The Local Government Act, 1993 (however, nothing in this Code overrides or affects this Act or any other law).
The Code of Conduct should be read in conjunction with the following Council Policies:
- Confidentiality at Council Meetings;
- Confidential Council Briefing Sessions;
- Private Works Undertaken by Council for Council Officials;
- Legal Costs – Assistance to Council Officials;
- Councillors’ Access to Information and their interaction with Council Officials; and
- Gifts and Benefits.
PURPOSE OF THE CODE OF CONDUCT
The Code of Conduct sets the minimum requirements of conduct for Council officials in carrying out their functions. This Code has been developed to assist Council officials to:
- understand the standards of conduct that are expected of them
- enable them to fulfil their statutory duty to act honestly and exercise a reasonable degree of care and diligence (section 439)
- act in a way that enhances public confidence in the integrity of local government.